- What is a NetID?
- I am new to the University, how long will it take to get a NetID?
- What is my NetID and how do I obtain one?
- Why is my NetID unfriendly?
- Can I change my NetID?
- Can I change my e-mail address?
- I am new to the University and just received my NetID. What is my password?
- What are the NetID Password Complexity Rules?
- What do I do if I have forgotten my password?
- How do I reset the temporary password issued by Help Center?
- How do I change my current NetID password?
- How do I create my "Secret Questions and Answers"?
I am new to the University, how long will it take to get a NetID?
What is my NetID and how do I obtain one?
Why is my NetID unfriendly?
In an effort to create hundreds of thousands of NetIDs for all people having association with UConn (past, present and future), it is necessary to create IDs that are not necessarily ‘friendly.’ Consider that if we were to allow IDs that use your first initial and last name (jdoe), eventually we would need to add a numbering scheme (joe3776) to make each ID unique. A uniform scheme avoids name conflicts and arguments. The scheme used is, three letters (usually your initials) - abc - the year you were issued your NetID - 06 and a 3-digit sequential number of persons with your initials being assigned a NetID the same year, i.e. abc06003. The eventual goal is to have the issued NetID be the only ID you will need to know and use to access UConn resources.
Can I change my NetID?
No. The NetID is intended to be a purely unique, irrevocable, persistent identifier for each individual in the University Community. The NetID format is "loosely based" on the user's name, which means it may use initials or other letters from the user's name. Most IDs are created using either the users initials, or the first two letters of the first name and the first letter of the last name. The automated process that creates the IDs is entirely systematic and does not always generate the exact ID that a user wants. The generated IDs should not be shared with others outside of providing you technical assistance; it is only a set of characters for logging into systems by a single individual.
Can I change my e-mail address?
Personal names (or aliases) provide UConn's students, faculty and staff an opportunity to have a more "personalized" and easier to read e-mail address in addition to the standardized name originally assigned to them. For more information on personalization of your e-mail address please visit http://uitsaccounts.uconn.edu/descript/pname.html.
I am new to the University and just received my NetID. What is my password?
Visit http://netid.uconn.edu . Under "New to UConn" "activate your NetID". After you enter your NetID you will be asked to enter the last four digits of SSN and 8 digit Date of Birth after which you will click on the Activate button, or if you have recieved an Activation code in the mail you may enter that and then click on the Activate button. The next page you are taken to requires you to set 3 secret questions and answers then continue on to set a password.
When you successfully set your password you will see;
Your password has been successfully changed.
Please visit the link labeled "Secret Questions and Answers " to create your Secret Questions and Answers which will aid you in changing a forgotten password in the future.
What are the NetID Password Complexity Rules?
The password must be at least eight characters long.
The password contains characters from three of the following four categories:
Upper Case: A B C ...
Lower Case: a b c ...
Numbers (0 through 9)
Limited Symbols: + - _ = . @ ?
The password cannot contain any three consecutive characters that are part of your name or NetID.
You cannot reuse any of your previous 5 passwords.
What do I do if I have forgotten my password?
If you have previously created your Secret Questions and Answers, visit http://netid.uconn.edu
Under Manage your NetID Password and Secret Questions & Answers click on Reset your password. You will be asked for your NetID and 8-digit date of birth (mmddyyy). Once your identity is confirmed, you will be prompted with each of the questions you previously selected as your Secret Questions. If you supply correct answers to each question, you will be allowed to choose a new password.
If you have not yet created your Secret Questions and Answers, or if you do not answer your questions correctly, you will need to contact the Help Center (email@example.com, or 860-486-4357) to reset your password.
How do I reset the temporary password issued by Help Center?
- Go to https://netid.uconn.edu and click on ‘Secret Questions’ link located near top of the page. This will bring you to a login page. Login using your Net ID and the temporary password provided by the Help Center.
- This will bring you to a page with fields for four questions. Using the drop down arrows select a different question for the first three and supply your answers. (If your first question has the activation code, please select another question and type your answer to the right.) When you are done click the 'Update' button. Above the first question it should read ‘Questions and answers have been successfully updated’. (Once successfully updated, these can be used in the future to reset the password, if the Net ID password is forgotten.)
- Now click on the 'Change Password' link located near the top of the page. This will bring to you the password reset page. Change the temporary password by typing it in the current password field and entering your own new password in the next two boxes. (You must be sure to follow the password complexity rules listed).
- Once the password has been successfully reset, close the browser to break the connection to the Net ID page
How do I change my current NetID password?
To change your NetID password, go to the NetID website and click on "Change your Current Password" Enter your NetID and current NetID password to log into the system. You will then be asked to enter in your current password, then enter a new password that conforms to the password rules listed on the page, re-enter the new password to confirm. Click on the change button. Your new password will now be active.
How do I create my "Secret Questions and Answers"?
Go to http://netid.uconn.edu, click on Set, review of change your Secret Questions and Answers and login with your NetID and password. Choose three questions from the drop-down lists and provide your answers. For additional security, there is an optional fourth question for you to create and answer. Once you are finished, click the Update button.
To edit your questions and answers, choose another question from the drop down menu and provide your new answer. Once you are finished, click the Update button.
NetID is the Network Identifier that UConn issues to allow access to certain computing services. These services include:
ePortfolio, CPIA Tutoring, Library E-Delivery System, Law School Web Applications, Onecard Online Account Management, HuskyCT, SafeConnect, Huskymail (Student Email), Exchange (Faculty/Staff email and calendaring), Proxy, Wireless Login (Bluesocket), VPN and Student Affairs' services; Studio Abroad, Virtual Career Fair, and WebCentral.
Note: The list of services will grow, until many of UConn's computing services allow you to use a common ID and password to login.
There are many processes that lead to the generation of a NetID. Employees (Faculty, Staff & Special Payroll) and Affiliates are dependant upon a required paper workflow. (Click here for details.)
Go to the NetID website and click on "Find your NetID". Input your last name, your 8-digit date of birth, and your Student Admin System (PeopleSoft) ID or your Payroll ID, click on "Search"and the NetID system will give you your NetID.
If you are a student you can try going to http://phonebook.uconn.edu/ and typing in your name.
If the system cannot find your NetID with the information you supplied, please contact the UITS Help Center (firstname.lastname@example.org, or 860-486-4357).